1) My human capital:
- I have a passion for working with a distinct population of individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities with experience as a behavior therapist.
- I'd like to think I am a very friendly person who is welcoming to others.
- Describe myself as soft-spoken and reserved.
- I'm a proud Latina (Dominican and Peruvian) so I can relate to being a minority but I am also a proud American.
- I fluently speak 2 languages (English and Spanish) and am intermediate in two others (Korean and American Sign Language).
2) Outside Opinions:
The people that I interviewed are the people closest to me in relationship but farthest to me in distance (we no longer live in the same city) so i was not able to get an actual interview recording done but some of them did send me voice notes and text messages of what they thought my human capital was.
- Childhood friend 1: "You’re understanding,kind, smart, you always know what to say to make someone feel better, you know how to be truthful without being hurtful".
- Significant other: "You're very passionate about helping people and you're very knowledgeable on how to deal with people on the spectrum."
- Childhood friend 2: "You listen to people and I think this will help you in the long run dobyou want to start a business because you will know what the consumers want and how to satisfy their needs."
- Sister: "You always want to help people, regardless of who they are. And you know alot about the population you work with, you've always talked about wanting to work with kids with disabilities and now you're doing it."
- Childhood friend 3: "You care a lot about other people (sometimes too much), and you make sure people know you are there for them."
3) Reflecting on Differences
I think the opinions that the people close to me had, I kind of expected because they have told me this before. I dont think i would make any corrections on the list because those are what I truly think my human capital is. As I grow to know myself more over time, I think things would be added to that list.
Hi Jules! I find it so amazing that you work with people who have disabilities, i think that is such a compassionate job to have. I also find it really impressive that you have some experience in Korean and American Sign Language! I also found in the reflection that many people had to say a lot of things that I thought about myself already! Great post!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy that in your description of yourself it paints a good picture of who you are. Each of those five items fits well together into one person. This lets an employer know that while you're well rounded you are not too spread out which I think is valuable. I think it is awesome that you have people around you that know you so well and are able o tell you what they think about you. I do wish there was more detail in your recordings so I could get a better picture of the conversation. Besides that I think it is great that you have direct quotes. Overall it is very nice but i would have liked more detail.
ReplyDeleteBy the way this is a post done by Izabella Smith, i broke my laptop and didn't realize I wasn't signed in for my blogger response.
Delete