Friday, October 25, 2019

19A - Idea Napkin No.2

1) An intro to me
  • Growing up, I was always fascinated and interested in the population of the world no one else seemed to understand. Being brought up with a sibling with disabilities, I was always wondering what I could do to understand him and always wanted to know more. As a 4th year in college, I can finally say, I've gotten closer to reaching a personal career goal in working with kids with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Currently working as a Registered Behavior Technician for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, I provide direct ABA therapy and engage with these kids on a daily basis and I've never loved doing something, more. I learn so much more from them, than I teach them. My aspiration with this business idea is making it a resource every needing parent of a child on the spectrum can rely on and can feel safe and secure and relaxed knowing they're not alone and there are people out there to understand them and advocate for their kids.

2) Here's what I'm offering: Allies 4 Autism

  • After multiple conversations with parents of kids on the spectrum, almost always, they wish, there were more resources out there for their kids, whether it's finding a babysitter for the weekend that has knowledge on how to interact with kids with intellectual and developmental disabilities, or searching for an after-school program for their kids because they are single parents and work during the day and can't be there all the time, or simply, someone to offer them support and encouragement throughout the process and let them know, they're not in this alone.
  • That's where Allies 4 Autism comes along.
  • Allies 4 Autism would be a concoction of services and resources, all freely found on a singular app easily downloadable on all phones.
  • Parents of kids with ASD and other related disabilities would be the primary users of this app and its resources.
  • Access to available sitters and caregivers (all with previous experience caring for or providing clinical therapy to this population) in their area, support groups, ABA clinics, Autism awareness events, etc.

3) Who I'm offering to

  • The target of these services would be more focused on families with members with ASD but more specifically, targeting often single-working parents who may not be able to be as present with their child who hence may need these kind of resources.

4) Why do they care? (Why wouldn't they?)

  • Because I'm targeting parents, this specific population can be a little easier to persuade. Parents will always want the best for their children and will do whatever it takes to get that for them. Because I will be offering these resources to parents of children with ASD, they would be more willing to do something about it, because they are often feeling more pressure in their lives.
  • The lack of resources out there NOW, make it all the more establishing to start something like this up and attract those who need it most.

5) Core Competencies

  • What sets Allies 4 Autism apart from everyone else is that instead of it just being one particular service, the app itself would be built to connect the user to all resources available in the area from already existing therapy clinics and events but also connect them with registered therapists and experienced caregivers that might not have been available to them previously. For example, care.com, a caregiving service app, is an app where sitters find clients and parents find sitters. There is an special needs filter on the app however, Allies 4 Autism would be specifically tailored for this population and the caregivers would all have prior experience or knowledge of individuals on the spectrum. Interested students working in the behavior analysis field at the University of Florida for example, would be directed to this app to provide caregiving services through it to the families in the area. In addition, this app would have a self-supporting feature for caregivers looking to make this into a start up to their career or simply want to gain more experience and allocate some volunteer opportunities. (More details to this in the feedback section).

I think the elements of this venture fit together pretty well. I think the aspect that could be weaker is comparing it to others similar. To my knowledge there are no current apps out there or local that target this audience and do it in a manner that combine multiple resources to make a type of guiding interface but that doesn't mean that the individual resources don't exist. The Center for Autism and Related Disabilities for example is a center partnered with the University of Florida that offer support groups and hold events for the Autism community but it may not be available to every one or as known to all. 

My response to feedback
  • I did not receive any comments or feedback on my first Idea Napkin which is a little disappointing. I wish I knew what I could improve on but looking at my previous napkin from a different perspective, I can pinpoint some things I would change or add for myself. I kind of wanted to add a self-supporting feature on this app. 
  • By implementing a feature in which caregivers can set their own rates as well as parent users setting what they would be willing to pay a caregiver for their services, I think this would make the app be perceived as a self-supporting service for the caregivers as well. Similar to other babysitting apps, for example Bambino, Allies 4 Autism will allow parents and caregivers to add to their profiles what they would be willing to charge or pay for the services. This way, the need for the resource will be fulfilled but there would be a mutual understanding from both parties of what is expected. 
  • This does not have to be the only way to acquire services however; caregivers like behavior technicians and college students in the field can also use this app as a volunteer opportunity and be able to gain that experience. What it would be for, would be up to the users themselves.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jules! Great job on your second blog post on your idea napkin. For me, I enjoyed the first blog post assignment the best on the first idea napkin rather than this second assignment. This assignment for me was very realistic and just focused on the feedback that peers gave. I agree with you that it is hard to learn what is right and wrong from your idea napkin if you had no feedback from the first one. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julissa, I thought your idea napkin was very well rounded and the elements fit together nicely. I’m sorry to hear that you did not receive any feedback on your last idea napkin and will be sure to check for group members that do not have any comments on their posts for my future peer reviews. The fact that there are no known competitors is important since this is for a specific market with a broad range of needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jules! I really appreciated how even though you did not get feedback on the last one, you still wanted to put effort into changing and bettering your idea. I also did not get feedback on my post and i still made the effort to change the idea up and better it. I also like how you put so much time and effort into the post! It really seems you care for your idea!

    ReplyDelete

30A - Final Reflection

The most formative experience in this class for me, was creating an elevator pitch. An elevator pitch is something I did not have to do ver...